About Us

The history of Carburetion & Turbo Systems, Inc. actually started long before the business began.

In the 1960’s, David Leivestad, Owner/CEO, was a bulk truck driver, delivering propane (LPG) to rural customer’s for home heating in eastern Montana. First he learned to convert the trucks he was driving to run on LPG, and then he started converting farmer’s tractors and pick-ups. Over the years he worked on every type and size of engine from industrial to stand-by engines ranging from 8 ci to 3000 ci.

Dave and his wife, Deanna, moved to Minnesota in 1970 where he started working for a company that did nothing but propane conversions. A few years later, he was hired by a large utility company to oversee their own fleet of propane-powered vehicles.

Towards the end of 1977, Dave and Deanna began talking about starting their own “alternate fuel” business, and so they did, calling it Propane Carb. & Turbo Service, Inc. It wasn’t long before the firm was doing compressed natural gas (CNG) conversions as well. As a result the company name was changed in 1984 to Carburetion & Turbo Systems, Inc. (CTS).

The business is truly “family owned” with David and Deanna being the founders and managers for over 25 years. Dave’s brothers, Philip and Eric, joined the firm in 1984 and 1985 respectively and have a wealth of knowledge and experience to continue the business long after David and Deanna leave the scene.

When the business began, about 90% of the sales involved actual installations and repairs of alternate fuel systems on all types of engines. The remaining 10% was derived from shipping parts to customers. Today that trend has completely reversed itself with kits being shipped all over the world.

The late 1990’s brought about a huge demand for generator kits. CTS boasts a large inventory and can custom build about 2000 kits at any given time.

Recently the firm has gotten heavily involved in supplying complete GM engines already converted to propane or natural gas.

CTS would be happy to help when you need assistance with your alternate fuel systems. They are well known for their ability to troubleshoot and for being able to provide the most rare and hard-to-find components.

Alternative Fuels

Alternative fuels, as defined by the Energy Policy Act of 1992 (EPAct), include ethanol, natural gas, propane, hydrogen, biodiesel*, electricity, methanol, and p-series fuels. These fuels are being used worldwide in a variety of vehicle applications. Learn more about how the EPAct Program works by going to the EPAct Web site.

Using these alternative fuels in vehicles can generally reduce harmful pollutants and exhaust emissions. In addition, most of these fuels can be domestically produced and derived from renewable sources.